It is a truth universally acknowledged that student loans are not pretty. College has always been a serious investment, but in our generation the price of tuition has nestled into the realm of five digits with startling ease. If you’re worried about how to afford it all--or in other words you’re stressed about not only getting in, but actually getting on campus--rest be assured that you are not the only one. With a little outside research and willingness to hustle after a few more applications #grindneverstops, you’ll find that there are plenty of scholarship and college-funding opportunities out there that you can optimize!
Note: This blog post is mainly about scholarship opportunities outside of school aid. For more information about applying for financial aid from colleges themselves, check out our previous blog post!
General Tips for Cutting College Application Costs
- Ask your school for Standardized Test Waivers for the SAT & ACT
- This will allow you to take the SAT & the ACT for free!
- Check to see if you are eligible for application waivers from schools
- This will allow you to apply to schools for no cost!
- Find a group of people to split the cost of our Group Tutoring and Group Courses with you!
- You can also ask for financial aid for any of our tutoring services by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will initiate a conversation with you to determine how much the course will cost, and you’ll be able to study as a group!
Scholarships with Less Emphasis on Grades
- Coca-Cola Scholars https://www.coca-colascholarsfoundation.org/apply/
Provides a $20,000 scholarship to 150 students nation-wide each year.
- Davidson Fellows Scholarship https://www.davidsongifted.org/fellows-scholarship
For our FGLI and Minority friends:
- Jack Kent Cooke College Scholars Program https://www.jkcf.org/our-scholarships/
- Gates Scholarship https://gmsp.org/a-gates-millennium-scholars-program/
- Questbridge https://www.questbridge.org/
- Horatio Alger Scholarships https://scholars.horatioalger.org/about-our-scholarship-programs/national-scholarships/
- Ron Brown Scholarship https://www.ronbrown.org/section/apply/eligibility-requirements
- Asian and Pacific Islander American Scholarship https://apiascholars.org/scholarship/apia-scholarship/
General Scholarship Services
- CollegeBoard Opportunity Scholarships https://opportunity.collegeboard.org/
- Niche Sweepstakes https://www.niche.com/colleges/scholarship/no-essay-scholarship/
Sites such as Cappex https://www.cappex.com/scholarships, College Greenlight, Niche, and Unigo are scholarship databases that will also pull up tons of smaller scholarship opportunities. Get started on your search, and good luck with those applications!